A slip and fall accident takes place when someone slips, trips or falls because of a dangerous or unsafe condition located on a property. Slip and fall accidents can result in serious personal injuries and even wrongful death. Sadly, these types of accidents can be particularly perilous for the elderly and children.
So, just how common are these accidents? A look at some of the statistics surrounding slip and falls may surprise you.
• Slips, trips and falls are the leading cause of death while on the job, and the number one cause of accident injuries in restaurants, hotels and public buildings.
• The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reported that more than 8 million people in the United States are involved in slip and fall accidents every year.
• The number of slip and fall accidents that occur every year in the U.S. and require hospitalization is estimated at 540,000.
• Approximately 55 people across the country die every day due to injuries suffered in a slip and fall accident.
• According to the Occupational Safety & Health Administration, slips, trips and falls cause 15 percent of all accidental deaths and 57 percent of all injuries in the workplace.
Slip and fall accidents, like most accidents, can be caused by any number of factors, including the following:
• Slippery or Uneven Floors
• Inadequate Lighting
• Failure to Warn Guests and Visitors of Dangers on Property
• Broken Stairwells
• Missing Handrails
• Debris in Walkways
Children and senior citizens are at the highest risk of injury in slip and fall or trip and fall accidents. In fact, according to the National Safety Council, more than 30,000 people over the age of 65 sustain serious and debilitating injuries in a fall accident every week and another 250 die as a result of these injuries. Slip and fall accidents are also a leading cause of child injuries, including traumatic brain injuries.
If a slip, trip and fall accident takes place on someone else's property, then the owner may be held liable for damages. Premises liability accidents can happen just about anywhere. Whether you slipped and fell at a grocery store or restaurant or tripped and fell at a movie theatre or department store, you have the right to seek adequate financial compensation for your injuries from the at-fault party.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a Brooksville slip and fall or trip and fall accident caused by a property owner's carelessness or negligence, you should contact a Hernando County Premises Liability Attorney at Whittel & Melton for a free evaluation of your case. We can help you recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages related to the accident. To get started, contact us online or call 352-666-2121.