One person was killed Tuesday morning in a two-vehicle crash on Interstate 75.
The crash happened at 6:15 a.m. when a box truck crashed into the back of a semi-truck near Mile Marker 302 in Ridge Manor, according to Hernando County Fire Rescue.
The driver of the box truck was killed. The driver of the semi was not harmed.
The northbound lanes of I-75 were temporarily shut down, until one lane could safely be opened to allow the heavily backed up traffic to proceed slowly past the accident scene.
The accident is still under investigation.
One out of every 8 fatal accident on highways across the country involve a semi-truck. This statistic alone serves as a reminder that trucking accidents are a huge problem and that trucking companies should be held accountable for the negligence of their drivers.
- In 2013, there were more than 327,000 accidents involving semi trucks.
- Of those, 3,906, of these accidents were fatal.
- 63 percent of fatal accidents involved two or more vehicles.
- 25 percent of these fatal crashes occurred on interstate highways.
- 66 percent of all deadly accidents took place during the daytime.
Our Hernando County Truck Accident Lawyers at Whittel & Melton can help you or your loved ones who have been involved in these types of collisions. We are able to properly survey a truck accident scene and re-create the collision by working closely with reconstruction specialists. We can look for crucial pieces of evidence that can assist with your claim, including:
- How many hours the trucker was supposed to drive before they were required to pull over for rest.
- Whether or not their truck exceeded weight restrictions.
- Verifying if the trucker kept proper travel logs required by law.
- Ensuring appropriate licenses were issued to operate the semi-truck.
If you or someone you love has been injured or killed in a collision with a large truck, please call us today for a free consultation at 352-666-2121 or contact us online. We can begin helping you immediately, and have the knowledge and resources necessary to go after the compensation you need and deserve.