Improper Use of Generator Kills One Dog, Critically Injures Another

One dog was killed and another dog was critically injured on Wednesday from the improper use of a generator inside a Hernando County home.

Hernando County Fire Rescue was called out to the home around 10:56 a.m. Wednesday due to a portable generator possibly being run inside a home.

Fire crews forced entry into the home and found a generator running inside the garage with the garage door closed.

They found two dogs inside the home, but no one else. The dogs were evacuated from the garage, officials said, and one was killed, more than likely from carbon monoxide fumes, fire rescue said.

The other dog was still alive but required aggressive treatment by fire/rescue personnel.

This tragedy reminds us that generator usage is deadly if not used appropriately.

Hernando County Fire Rescue has had two significant emergencies related to improper generator use during Hurricane Irma. A home was destroyed by a generator catching fire on Monday, Sept. 11.

HCFR urges residents to follow manufacturer recommendations in the proper usage and placement of portable generators.

When there are power outages, many people turn to portable generators without fully knowing the risks. As generators have become more popular to have on hand, the number of  carbon monoxide (CO) deaths have spiked. The following generator safety tips can keep you and your loved ones safe during an emergency situation:

  • Generators should be used in well ventilated locations outside at least 5 feet away from all doors, windows, and vent openings.
  • Never use a generator in an attached garage, even with the door open.
  • Place generators in a place where exhaust fumes can’t enter the home through windows, doors or other openings in the building. The exhaust must be directed away from the building.
  • Make sure to install CO alarms in your home. Follow manufacturer’s instructions for correct placement and mounting height.
  • Turn off generators and let them cool down before refueling. Never refuel a generator while it is hot.
  • Store fuel for the generator in a container that is intended for the purpose and is correctly labeled as such. Store the containers outside of living areas.

If you or someone you love has suffered an injury from a generator that was due to another person’s negligence or carelessness, our Hernando County Injury Lawyers can help. Call us today for a free consultation at 352-666-2121 or contact us online.

 

Contact Information