Halloween is today! This is a fun time for children and adults alike to dress up, eat candy and have fun. For all the joy that Halloween brings, it is still important to remember that there are many dangers during this spooky holiday that can lead to injuries.
Of all the possible dangers, car accidents are the most common, and many of these accidents lead to wrongful death. Safe Kids USA reported recently that children are more than twice as likely to be killed by a motor vehicle on Halloween night as any other time of the year. According to the National Center for Statistics and Analysis, from 1990-2010, 115 child pedestrians died on Halloween. Many of the fatal accidents reported happened outside of an intersection or crosswalk.
Serious Halloween car accidents happen most frequently from 4-10 p.m., and it is particularly common for accidents to happen when the sun sets because drivers have trouble seeing the road in front of them.
Our Hernando County Auto Accident Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton want you and your children to stay safe tonight, and every night for that matter. The following safety tips can help you get through Halloween safely:
- Put reflective tape on all bags and costumes to ensure that drivers can see you and your children.
- Have a flashlight on while trick-or-treating to ensure that you can see and be seen by drivers and others.
- Look both directions before going across the street. Use crosswalks if they are available.
- Walk only on sidewalks as much as possible. If none are available, walk on the far edge of the street against traffic.
Drivers should remember the following road safety tips:
- Drive slower than normal.
- Put your cell phone away while driving.
- Beware of young children running into the street.
- Yield to child pedestrians.
- Use your turn signals.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an auto accident, please contact our office at 352-666-2121 for a complimentary consultation. We are available 24/7 on Halloween and stand ready to assist you and your loved one should you need us.