Driver Killed, Passenger Critical After I-75 Crash in Hernando

A Bradenton woman was killed and her passenger was critically injured in a single-vehicle crash on I-75 in Hernando County early Thursday.

According to the Hernando County Fire Rescue, the pair’s Infiniti Q50 left the northbound side of the highway near mile marker 303 around 1 a.m. and struck a tree.

First responders found the driver, a 25-year-old woman, dead at the scene and the passenger, a 34-year-old man, badly injured.

Crews had to use heavy equipment to cut away wreckage that had entrapped the passenger, according to reports. That passenger, also from Bradenton, was taken by helicopter to the trauma center at Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point.

If you were involved in a single-vehicle collision, the conclusion that follows might be that you were the at-fault party. However, liability in single vehicle accidents is not always that simple. If you were involved in a collision, a Hernando County Auto Accident Lawyer at Whittel & Melton may be able to help you. In single-vehicle collisions, a driver typically runs off the road or onto the shoulder for some reason, colliding with a fixed object. These are classified as run-off-road crashes. Statistics show that nearly 70 percent of all fatal single-vehicle crashes are ROR crashes. The other 30 percent of single vehicle accidents are classified as on-road crashes, which means that the vehicle remained on the road after the accident.

According to a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a number of factors can contribute to or cause single vehicle accidents, including:

  • Fatigue
  • Impairment due to Drugs and/or Alcohol
  • Roadway defects
  • Incorrect or defective signs or signals
  • High speed or reckless driving
  • Adverse weather conditions

If you were involved in a single vehicle accident, understand that these cases can be complex. Call a Hernando County Auto Accident Lawyer at Whittel & Melton today at 352-666-2121 or contact us online so that we can give you a free initial evaluation of your case. You may be entitled to financial compensation, so do not delay!

Contact Information