While a slip and fall or trip and fall accident can leave any one of any age with an injury, for senior citizens, falls are becoming more and more fatal.
The number of those over the age of 65 who die after a fall has sharply spiked in recent years, according to The New York Times. The fact that Americans are living longer only adds to the serious realization that the numbers of seniors affected by serious and fatal falls is likely to continue increasing in the next several years.
The following are five facts about seniors and potentially fatal injuries caused by falls:
- Falls are the No. 1 cause of fatal injuries for senior citizens. In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, falls are the leading cause of both nonfatal injuries and fatal injuries among adults 65 or older.
- An estimated 24,000 seniors died from falls in 2012. In 2012, nearly 24,000 seniors died from injuries suffered in falls. That is almost double the number of seniors who suffered fatal injuries from falls in 2002.
- 2.4 million seniors were taken to the ER for fall-related injuries in 2012, 50 percent more than a decade earlier.
- Senior care facilities are taking measures to address falling hazards, according to The New York Times. These facilities are taking extra precautions such as installing floor lighting and illuminated pathways, installing impact-resistant flooring and providing exercises to help seniors improve their balance.
- A fall could be grounds for a personal injury lawsuit. When a fall is caused by the negligence of another party, such as a property owner failing to maintain his or her premises in a reasonably safe manner, then a personal injury lawsuit could result in financial compensation for injuries suffered in the fall. In the event that someone you love was killed, you may be able to seek retribution through a wrongful death lawsuit.
The Hernando County Slip, Trip and Fall Accident Attorneys at Whittel & Melton represent injury victims and their families throughout Hernando County including the cities of Spring Hill, Brooksville, Ridge Manor, Weeki Wachee, Hernando Beach and Masaryktown. For a free consultation, please call us at 352-666-2121 or contact us online.